(Check here for background information about this commemoration of people who died as a result of Fortress Europe’s policies against undocumented immigrants and asylum seekers).
Fortress Europe recorded deaths for July 18th:
- 18/07/94 1 Mohamed F. B. (14, boy) from Morocco drowned, after falling into the water while climbing a ship to Spain on the Transmed.-Line
- 18/07/00 1 N.N. (young woman) unknown country of origin, drowned, body found floating in state of decomposition off the coast of Barbate (Spain)
- 18/07/03 25 N.N. bodies unknown nationalities, drowned, after two shipwrecks occured near Sur de Aiun (Morocco)
- 18/07/06 1 Adams John (7 months, child) unknown nationality, reportedly died heart failure caused by hypothermia, after arriving Fuerteventura (Spain)
- 18/07/07 16 N.N. bodies, unknown nationalities, drowned, 4 died, 12 missing when boat sank 40 miles south of Lampedusa (Italy)
- 18/07/08 1 N.N. (man) Africa (unknown nationality) manner of death unknown, decomposed body recovered from the sea off Malta.
Total 45 deaths on July 18th since 1994. Source.
For the past decade and a half I have been making all my content available for free (and never behind a paywall) as an ongoing practice of ephemeral publishing. This site is no exception. If you wish to help offset my labor costs, you can donate on Paypal or you can subscribe to Patreon where I will not be putting my posts behind a lock but you'd be helping me continue making this work available for everyone. Thank you. Follow me on Twitter for new post updates.